A lot of people end up having back pain from lifting heavy objects. Most likely if they thought before they lifted the object, they would avoid causing themselves back pain. Listed below are steps to follow when lifting a heavy object to avoid straining your lower back muscles:
- Square your body to the object so it is right in front of you.
- Make sure the object is close to your body.
- Place your legs shoulder distance apart.
- Hinge forward slightly at the waist
- Squat down making sure your center of gravity is towards your heels not your toes.
- Pick up the object.
- If you need to place the object in a certain location, make sure to move your feet not twist your back.
If you continue to have back pain while lifting objects from the floor, call Harbor Physical Therapy to have one of our doctorate level physical therapists evaluate you to determine the source of the issue.